Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Winner takes all…
Which is certainly true in the case of our trivia games. That’s right, every other Monday in Cayo we play trivia for a cash prize. Both times I’ve played, my team has won - which I would say speaks to how fantastic my team members are: not only are they full of random information, they continue to let me reap the benefits of being on a winning team even though my contributions are small. (However, I was fairly adequate at knowing theme songs for television shows). Needless to say, I can now order a lime juice and STILL afford my bus fare this week - success!

All in all, I think it was a good start to the my last week in San Ignacio as a trainee. I plan to do ridiculous amounts of laundry tonight after training so that I can attempt packing for the move back to Belmopan and beyond. Since we all know how much I love the packing process, I’m banking on a fairly eventful night of attempting to smash all my accumulated crap back into one bag. Bonus activity…I have to haul the stupid thing through town and hoist in on the bus. There is nothing quite like the entertainment that Gringos (that would be the white skinned folks) provide for the locals…

Training is finishing up and I am more than ready to make another transition - into my future site. We find out on Friday where our site placement is…I think we’re all fairly anxious to find out and start the next leg of our Peace Corps service. Limbo is no longer the fun place to be. It's like that summer you have between college and your first job - you know, that time when something is just around the corner that WILL or should be amazing...but you still have to fill the days in between with God knows what. Training is our 'God knows what' and I've had my fill. Bring on the next adventure.

Don't mistake my anxious anticipation for the notion that I've had an awful time here. Its quite the contrary...I've loved living in this city, meeting the people, and learning another culture. I've had the best times celebrating holidays, trying new foods and learning the right way to greet a local on the street, and getting to know my fellow PCVs (have you read any of the previous entries?)...I'm just ready for something new.

The time in San Ignacio has indeed flown by as so many people said it would...And really, considering the luck I had in getting this placement for training, I'd say I won big in experiences. So I'm off to enjoy some of the local atmosphere while I still can...and yes, that includes one gigantic lime juice (paid for by my unearned trivia winnings)!

No comments:

Post a Comment