Tuesday, November 30, 2010

red dress run 2010!

Let me tell you a story about my first HASH….and this is by far one of the best things I have participated in during my time living in Belmopan! It all started with a harmless email from my friend Sharanya. She knows that I have a difficult time finding things to fill weekends and week nights within Belmopan. The city is alive during the work day…and non-existent any other time. UNLESS, you know the right people…and Sharanya knows them all. :0) And so, she invited me to join her and a few ex-pats in the HASH.


So, I took her up on the offer. A HASH is a walk/run event that takes place in various communities periodically. As a participant, you start from one point and run a trail that the Hare has marked out. The trail is different each time and is marked out using flour. While running, you must be on the look out for these flour markings. Three circles in a row means that you’re running the right path. However, it gets a bit tricky because some of the markings require you to check the direction of the trail. At these junctions, people can run either right, left, or straight ahead, looking for those three circles. If they come to an x, then they’re not on the right path and must turn around and try again. This whole process is also accompanied by drinking breaks, and various other silly things. At the end of the HASH, the group circles around and sings ridiculous songs and welcomes new people. SO much fun!

Now, this specific HASH was the Red Dress Run. It’s held once a year and serves as a fundraiser for the group. This year, our monies were donated to Mary Open Doors (a domestic violence shelter in Cayo) and a local orphanage in Belmopan. So, as a fundraiser – we paid our entry fee and then were required to come to the event in a red dress. Everyone. In a red dress. At first I thought maybe this was a joke, meant to embarrass new Hashers…but that was not the case. The story goes that this event was started a couple years ago after a woman apparently showed up to a normal HASH wearing a red dress, not understanding what it was. She ran it anyway….and the rest is history. I’d like to thank her for a Saturday full of gut wrenching laughter and new friends. Take a look for yourself:











After the HASH, we were invited to the British High compound for a BBQ lunch and some swimming and of course -drinking. I’ve learned that the British hold events surrounded by the latter and thoroughly enjoy participating in this aspect. When I left sober, I was scolded and told that I’d be held accountable for such an atrocity at the next Hash. I guess I’ll have to go again just to find out….only next time, without a lovely red dress!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Heather....so good to read your blog@ We initiated the red dress run last year! Good 4 you to participate and write about it

    on on
    www.dutchinbelize.blogspot.com
    www.dutchinmadagascar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete