Monday, July 11, 2011

on being on hiatus...

Hello again readers. It’s been nearly half a year since I’ve updated you about what is going on in my life here in Belize. This is for a few reasons…namely, I cannot shake the notion that you all do not really care about the fact that I went to school, came home, ate dinner, played with my dog and then went to bed- which is what I was mostly up to for the last few months. Life here is quite routine…and while the exotic thoughts of being in a foreign country were exciting to report on during the initial time I spent here, the truth is that all I would be reporting on currently are the daily rumblings from life in my home…and I have a journal for that.  Secondly, friends and family – I’ve asked for updates from your life as well…and have received none. I understand that the theory of the blog is for public leisure reading and that you all probably loved checking in when you ran out of other things to do on the internet. I had hoped it would be a way for me to stay connected in the easiest way possible with everyone I knew back home (without the stress of incorrect email addresses ruining a thing). Trouble is, I’m connected to the entire planet via this internet blog and feel disconnected from the very people that the blog is intended for. I blame naiveté on my part for assuming that this would be a two-way street.


So- there you have it- my reasoning for not updating. The little rant on my end is finished…

On to the bullet points of the last 6 months:

March-

• Organized and ran HIV outreach for La Ruta Maya (cross-country canoe race). Six PCVs partnered with individuals from PASMO for the 4 day event. We were exhausted at the end of each day, but it was a successful event- reaching nearly 700 Belizean men, women, and children.




• New Trainees arrive in Belize. There is nothing like a new group to remind you just how much you have changed, when you feel certain that you “really aren’t THAT different.”



April –

• Attended a USAID workshop with about 19 other organizations working with PLW HIV in an effort to create a national continuum of care. 2 days, several cups of coffee later- I left the conference having helped write the mission and vision for this new group of dedicated individuals.

• The Dwyers returned to Belize! My previous yoga instructor and her family have moved to Honduras, but returned right before Easter for a visit. A bunch of us got together for a wonderful yoga session, good food, and catching up!

• SPRING BREAK!!! I traveled with my friend Emily and two local guys from Benque across the boarder to Guatemala. We stayed at a beautiful hostel in Flores called Los Amigos, ate Pizza Hut and everything else we could get our hands on (chocolate dipped strawberries!!!!) because things like that are simply out of reach in Belize. We also spent an entire day checking out Tikal- one of the most impressive Maya ruins in Central America. 8 hours in and we still didn’t see everything!



May –

• Helped create the first ever peer support group at post in Belize. VSV (volunteers supporting volunteers) is made up of a few other of my fellow volunteers who are trained to help other volunteers work through the rough spots of life in a foreign country. And trust me, there are a LOT of rough spots…

• Played a football game in Yo Creek. The Peace Corps women WON, and I’m fairly certain that the entire village came out to watch. Apparently there had been some misinformation given to the locals…that a professional American team was down to play an exhibition match. Oh, how wrong they were. We even had a man announcing the game (in Spanish) from a nearby rooftop. There is really nothing like hearing “GGGGOOOOAAAALLLL” shouted at you just like they do on TV!!!


• Attended Cacao Fest in Punta Gorda. Yep, finally traveled all the way down south again to drink wine and eat chocolate. Both I did with shocking success and had a wonderful reprieve from my daily routine in Belmopan. Sometimes, all you need is good conversation with friends in a new location to help bring back some spunk.


• Was on a strict ibuprofen and zyrtec regimen to allow me to breathe. The country is hottest during April and May and we had no rain!!! Due to the intense daily heat (100+), 100% humidity, lack of precipitation, and a few other factors, nearly 26% of the country was on fire….all at once. Unfortunately, I live in a little basin in the middle…so naturally, Belmopan was the catch all for smoke coming from every direction. We didn’t see the sun for almost 3 weeks….just smoke and haze that you typically would associate with large polluted cities. Without that daily regimen of anti-inflammatory and allergy type meds, I was a wheezing, coughing, choking mess! And it is after these two months that I can officially tell all of you, without question, that I hate summer (it’s always been my least favorite season)…but now, there is NO doubt in my mind.

June –

• Reviewed the first draft of a Monitoring and Evaluation manual that I’m helping to write with my other fellow members of the Health Systems Strengthening group (part of the HIV committee I’m a part of). What we learned: we’re awesome, we work better when we can do so with food, and we have SEVERAL revisions to go before we are confident that we’re giving Belize our best.

• Trainees swore in on June 10th! There are now about 80 total PCVs in country.

• My parents made a return trip and this time my brother joined!!!! The ONLY thing that could have made this trip better would be if I had actually been feeling well. So typical that after nearly two years, the first time I get sucker punched with something that knocks me off my feet is when I finally get to relax! Ah well, still a wonderful-memorable trip. Pictures below:




• Garden City Primary graduation. This year we had around 50 students complete all the requirements to graduate from Standard 6 at our school (equivalent to Jr.High graduation). The event took nearly 4 hours and while I’m certainly glad to have participated….I’m ecstatic that I do not have to attend another.

• Went to Lobsterfest in Placencia. Swam in the ocean and hung out on one of the ONLY beaches in the country, drank with friends, heard “SLOW TORNADO” performed live by the artist, and ate gelato for about 2 meals a day (I don’t actually eat seafood- I think my trade off was just perfect).



July (so far) –

• Helped a fellow volunteer run a reading camp for children in her site of Georgeville. We had approximately 16 students for the whole week focused on teambuilding and literacy. They would show up BEFORE camp started and drag their feet when they had to go home. On the last day, we created a slip and slide for some fun….there is absolutely nothing like the squeals of delight from children to know you’re making a difference. BY far, one of the most rewarding things I have done here in Belize.

• Held a BBQ at my house to celebrate a late 4th of July. Several friends showed up and we grilled beer brats, tiny hamburgers, hot dogs and even roasted s’mores. I built the grill myself and am actually really impressed at how well everything turned out! We hung and American flag hanky and drank beer that was cooled from a bucket full of ice….I cannot tell you the last time I did something so entirely American. No worries…it was Belizean music all the way for the entire evening…we cant entirely forget where we call home 

• Had a vet visit for Trafford. He ships to the states on the 14th, arriving in STL on the 15th. This is good for his acclimation to IL weather, but I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do when he’s gone!!!!



Ok, that’s the updates in a nut shell….you can probably expect one more before I leave, but lets not hold our breathe.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment