Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Swearing in!


It's official- I'm now sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer! The past week has been a whirlwind of activities and I'm just now getting around to updating you all on my life. I know you were all on the edge of your seats waiting for my update, right?!

Last week all the volunteers traveled back to Belmopan to complete our Bridge to Service (BTS) training and then swear in on Thursday. So, while everyone else spent hours traversing the hot buses and navigating their way through the jungle in some cases...I simply packed a bag and walked down the street to the Garden City Hotel. I admit, that was nice. Even better was that when I needed to drop things off or grab something I forgot, I could. Apparently there are some advantages to being a local.

The week was pretty uneventful until Thursday. Swearing in Day! Now, I dont know why I had it in my head that the swearing in at the Governor General's would be inside a nice building complete with air conditioning, but I did. Rule #1 of Peace Corps....save yourself and NEVER assume anything. In fact, our ceremony was held outside, sans fans in the midday heat. Now, I'll allow that at least they had a tent to shield my pale skin from the scorching sun...but the heat did nothing to improve the status of my hangover from the party the night before. Lessoned learned: if you're going to drink excessive amounts of alcohol before spending a day in the heat, at minimal you should also be prepared with tylenol and at least a small hand fan...it will save your life.

The actual ceremony went smoothly, with the typical amount of crying and chatting from the back of where I was seated. I'll admit there are parts that I missed...not because of the hangover, but because locals sitting behind me were in a full conversation at top volume. I'm not sure what is culturally acceptable for ceremonies, but I guess that flys here. After the ceremony (and ridiculous numbers of pictures) we were served rice and beans (what else would you have in Belize?!) and...wait for it....TURKEY! we were spoiled...no chicken for us! The fact that this was exciting to several of us speaks to how much chicken we actually consume.

After the ceremony, I promptly went and took a nap, in AIR CONDITIONING. wonderful. I was woken up a few hours later to attend the annual 1st years vs. 2nd years soccer game. Hilarious. 1st years suffered a terrible loss (1-5) but at least our cheerleaders were amazing. As always, I was left with a bruise documenting my time on the pitch. Luckily for me, thats the only thing to prove I was in attendance...my skills are RUSTY (and thats putting it nicely)! Hopefully I can get some back during these next 2 years.

A quick shower later and we were once again on a bus...this time to the Ambassador's house for a reception/dinner. AMAZING. The embassy housing is beyond belief...it was like stepping out of Belize for a while. No pothole filled roads or dimly lit streets with overgrown grass and trash thrown about. Hardly...the lawns were well kept and streets were clean and nicely cemented. The house itself was beautiful and most of us had a jaw-dropping reaction to the fact that we were allowed to freely explore the 1st floor. Tax dollars are definately at work here! Bonus...we were allowed WINE! and beer for the entire evening and were served dinner (prepared by the Ambassador's wife) on official china. You just don't get that everyday.

The night ended back at the GarDen (as we refer to it) with another party and of course, more alcohol. I believe the keg donated by Belikin was finished before it was all over and I'm fairly certain that my head was hitting the pillow just as the sun was coming up. I was spent...but celebrating the fact that 40! of us made it to swearing in was reason enough to get a little crazy.

CONGRATS PCVS BELIZE 2009-2011!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you're still in top notch form from Augie, Big!! Congrats on becoming Official! I'm super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete