Wednesday, October 28, 2009

time management

I'm beginning to understand the importance of time management here: when people go to work, their productivity level, how meals are served/prepared, etc...
...and how it's completely opposite from what I'm used to in the United States. Yes, I was aware that things move at a slower pace than what I'm used to... this is true for everything. For instance, the faster I finish my work...the more time I have to sit and stare at the ceiling. (p.s. the one in the school office is falling in from termite damage). Or, that if I eat to fast...I still have over an hour before work starts up again...Or, that being 'on time' is really a relative term for most things.
 After spending most of yesterday at the computer (updating my blog, of course), I was finally ready to call it a day and walk home to find something to do...perhaps read  more in my current book or nap or who knows what.
 This was not to be...instead, my counterpart decided that after a day of nothingness, the market would be an amazing place to take me. Granted, this appealed to me at first as I'd also spent a majority of the afternoon creating my budget for the month (FYI...still poor) and wanted to check out how much a bed was going to cost me.  So we drove to the market and while my counterpart picked out her vegetables, I asked the prices on beds made by the Mennonites. - I'll be getting one in the future...just not for a while. 
At this point, I've had my fill of the heat and I'm ready to go home...but no, while we were out we also ran other errands.  I believe she could sense my loss of enthusiasm by store 4 and finally offered to drive me home.  When I told her I needed to go to the bank first, she immediately perked up and wanted to shop at more stores in that area. I mustered as much "nice" as I could find and explained that I would only be a minute and then would walk myself home.  Once again, everything takes longer here.
The good news is that I had an activity planned for the evening...YOGA.  I'm new to it, but I'm finding that I love it more each time I attend a class.  For one thing, its an excuse to converse with other PCVs that attend.  Secondly, it helps me release stress and relax for an hour or so.  And last, but certainly not least...it occupies my time two evenings, twice a week!  Beautiful.
Now, this yoga-ing experience may have made me overthink my time management skills for today.  My counterpart agreed that I could leave when I was finished for the day (which at this point usually happens around lunch).  I had every intention of finishing at the school, taking a little break and then heading to the Peace Corps office to research some things in the IRC.
Without fail...my plans never seem to work out.  I arrived at the office only to find the entrance to the IRC locked. No one to answer my knocks.
SNAFU and more time I needed to fill.
Really, this isn't too bad...because now I'm happily sitting in air conditioning, updating my blog and watching Law & Order.  Again, perks to living in Belmopan....but let this serve as a lesson in always being prepared with a back-up plan for occupying an afternoon.  Oh the complexities of time management in the Carribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment