Monday, November 16, 2009

good morning belize!

yes it was! I have officially spent my first night in my permanent home in Belize (for these next 2 years).  87 days after arriving in country was a long wait and I could not have been more ready to have my own space. While I loved both of my host families (and will be visiting them often), I was certainly ready to set my own daily pace.  Last night my host dad drove me (and all of my accumulated crap) to my new place at 34 Oriole.  He literally dropped the bags in the empty room, gave me a hug with an open invitation to his home anytime I'd like, and then left.
So, there I was, left to occupy myself with all of my free time and whatever I felt like doing.  And I didnt know where to begin. Think of it as that first night in college, when you were so anxious to start that exciting next adventure and get rid of your parents....and then they leave and you dont want to admit that there's this nagging feeling in the pit of your stomach telling you that a little part of yourself wishes they would walk back through the door.  So, naturally, I waited for a phone call from my parents and in the mean time, I put my few belongings away.
Let me refresh for you what all I possess:
  • a borrowed air mattress from my lovely neighbor Melissa, and sheets that were sent from home.
  • a shower curtain, which does not reach the bottom of the shower and so there's always a little water on the floor once I take one.
  • a dresser which I purchased from a PCV that left earlier this month - it only holds a few clothes...the rest are packed into my suitcase still.
  • 2 drink containers, and about 12 plastic cups
  • 4 plastic bowls and some random plastic silverware (left to me by a former PCV)
  • a cutting board & knife set
  • 2 sets of white Christmas lights sent by my parents :0)
Of course, I have my clothes and a few books and photos that I brought from home, but thats basically it.  And I'd say its a fairly good start.  I was satisfied with my progress and relaxed in my bedroom with the soft lighting sent by my parents - I have yet to find a lamp and florescent lighting is just not conducive to relaxation- enjoying the phone conversation from home.

Thats when that anxious feeling went away and the grin began, ear to ear.  Finally, I had my own space! I fell into a sound sleep, enjoying my freedom.  This lasted until around 5 am this morning, when I was greeted by my neighbor.  He's a lovely, elderly man that has a beautiful garden behind his home, close to my bedroom window.  I remember how much I loved looking at it yesterday, but I have a feeling that it will become a point of contention for my slumber in the future.  You see, sweet as that man is, he apparently LOVES to greet the day with a little ritual of whistling at top volume, right before the crack of dawn.  He then continues this for a good part of the early morning.  Now, this in itself wouldn't be too terrible.  Heck, I can even appreciate the charm of it.  BUT, his whistling sets off an alarm system of angry dogs throughout my normally quiet neighborhood, and we have more dogs than I realized. This continues until he's finished.

Needless to say, I was not allowed to bask in my new tenant glow this morning.  Instead, I have vowed to invest in a fan to drown out the early morning greeting, as soon as I can.  This way my mornings in Belize always start out when they should....after the sun has already taken its spot in the sky. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment