Monday, November 9, 2009

Dos Sexy

...because I promised my fellow PCVs that I would indeed not forget and title my next blog entry as such.  Welcome to Friday night in Belmopan.

It all started out innocently enough, a small little house party as a last hurrah for one of our trainers who is leaving for the States on Tuesday.
So, there we were sipping our drinks and completely rocking out to some lovely 80's music waiting for other people to show up. - we were told a friend and an exchange student - but really, it was just two local Belizeans (we figured this out after a round of "where are you from? here?!... I dont get it".)

These Belizeans informed us that there was a much better party and we should go to it...they would even drive us in their H3.  Yes, thats right...my first ride in a Hummer was here in Belize. I get the irony.  Turns out, the house we were going to was home to a prince of Zimbabwe. Because, why wouldn't there be African royalty in Belize?!?!  He's a well respected lawyer and a very generous host.  This is especially true considering when we arrived, we WERE the party.  The house was beautiful and our host made sure that we had plenty to drink.  I was in complete heaven.  Not only was it FREE drinks, but it was good liquor.  I'm not talking the lovely Belikin we often succumb to drinking because it is the only thing my budget can afford.  No, we're talking Cuervo (more than one kind), Absolute, and various other lovelies that we made into beautiful mixes.

Naturally, we all wanted to thank the generous host.  Only problem: we had no idea what his name was.  Quickly, we did introductions and various botchings of differing cultural pronunciations (I will forever be known as Heda to Belizeans).  Our host, it turns out, is named Kaseke.  I remember this because I geniusly saved it into my phone as I knew I would never remember it.  Sure enough, no one else could until we created our own little system.  Kaseke quickly explained the way to say his name.  We all tried our own versions until one of us brilliant Americans replied, "Oh! Like Dos Equis...but with a 'K'!"  Sold.  For the rest of the evening that is what his name was...that is until we headed out to a local bar.  Upon re-entry to the fabulous Hummer, "Dos Equis" morphed beautifully into "Dos Sexy" and there was no turning back. Good thing he had a sense of humor.

I would like to report that this was the extent of our behavioral lapse, but it was not.  Drinking and dancing continued well into the morning hours.  We fully enjoyed and entertained ourselves, giving our friend that last night out in Belize. And the best part?  She's coming back for another training in March!  I'm calling for round 2 in the future....

1 comment:

  1. Your adventures never cease to amaze me. How you end up where you do is beyond me. You'll have to teach me the ways of meeting absolute strangers and ending up on top of the world. Glad you had a most amzing night!

    ReplyDelete