Tuesday, June 22, 2010

belizean field trips

Hi friends....sorry it's been so long since I've updated. Its been a busy few months here in Belize, so let me update you via the highlight reel.


Right after I got back from my hiking adventure, I was able to take part in two wonderful things with my counterpart agency, Garden City Primary School. The first was an event that highlighted the talents of several students throughout Belmopan. Youth from various schools came to GCPS for an afternoon to showcase their cultural talents. It was quite an experience, and I think our version of 'The Three Little Pigs' was stellar. It was really great to see all the kids supporting each other and having fun too!







 
The second experience that I was blessed with having was that of becoming a chaperone for our Standard II classes to the Mayan ruins of Xunantanich (pronounced shoe-non-tan-itch) and Cahal Pech. These sites are located in the western part of the Cayo district which we live and are only about an hour/hour and a half bus ride away. I was put in charge of three boys, who probably got more than they bargained for in having me in charge. You see, due to travel via bus, we had to either walk up a “huge” hill for maybe half a mile or hail a taxi for $5BZ to our first site. Yes, fresh off my mountain hike, I flat out refused a taxi ride to the base of the ruin. This was something that the boys had NOT planned for...but we made it into a race on who could get there the fastest. (Ridiculous that no matter what country I live in, boys always suck it up when there's competition involved).



Once at the top, the entire classes had fun exploring and climbing all over their piece of history. Its nerve wracking watching 8yr olds at the top of a ruin with NO shred of safety precautions. The boys were especially excited to learn about puk-ta-puk, an ancient Mayan game that slightly resembles modern basketball but without the use of your hands. In other words, the object was to get the ball through a hoop on the other side using your shoulders, elbows, and hips. I think they were most impressed at the fact that at the end of the game, one of the players was sacrificed (guides differ on which one it was- the winner or the loser). Either way, I think I'd be a spectator at this event!

( my three boys)                                                                     (view from the top of Xunantanich)

The rest of the day was more of the same: hiking, climbing, me telling the boys not to throw their garbage directly on the ground...repeat. We stopped for lunch at the end of the day, but like all kids...the class headed off to the playground for the duration. Needless to say, I think the trip was successful...my fearless students were plain 'tuckered out' for the ride home...and I finally got some quiet!!!


1 comment:

  1. Great sharing of your adventure. I truely love the puckered out picture!

    ReplyDelete