Thursday, April 15, 2010

hiking isn't for the faint of heart

Last weekend, I signed myself up to climb Victoria Peak - the tallest mountain in Belize.  Why?  Good question.  I would like to say that I really was looking forward to the personal challenge, or that I thought it would be another great adventure.  In reality, I just didnt think it through. The climb is 27K. Great, I can handle that.  Insert here a blonde moment where I failed to realize that 27K was a one way measurement....still had to climb back down the mountain another 27K.

  Yes, I realized this a full 5 hours into a hike that I will forever despise. I would love to tell you that I had an amazing experience and that the view was breathtaking but here are the simple truths:  I hated my life almost every minute after reaching 12K the first go round....and I never actually made it to the summit (although from those few that reached it...it was cloudy anyway). Let's chalk this whole trip up to life experience my friends.  Victoria Peak - 1, Bucy - 0.   (but i did still hike 26.6 miles in the jungle, up a mountain...i can live with that).

These are the things I'm taking away:
  • you should really, really, REALLY be in phenomenal shape before attempting a 33 mile hike up a mountain.
  • know your limits and never be afraid to admit when you've reached them
  • idoine tablets are not exactly tasty...but when fillling your water from the river, they are necessary.
  • waterfall showers are refreshing after 19K....and the resulting pools are excellent for icing sore muscles/joints
  • realize that whatever distance you hike in, you must also hike out. (i realize this should be obvious)
  • bedtime on a mountain is whenever the sun goes down, if you can manage to stay awake to actually witness the sunset.
  • wake up time is  around 4:30...make sure you have a flashlight.
  • friends are there for support...you're all in the same shitty situation - laugh, cry, and share toilet paper.
  • bug spray is useless - even stuff with deet.  these bugs were out for blood. literally.
  • the last 12K are the fastest - possibly because you can't wait to get the hell off the mountain for good
  • have ready at your home upon return: asprin, icy hot, benadryl, and anti itch cream...they're your new best friends.
awww....before the hike. we had no idea.

these packs = heaviest things ever after 19K.

dirty.sweaty.not happy.

break.

steep!
well...at least they attempted a latrine at 19K base camp.
base camp at 19K. notice how great the roof looks!
view.  or so i'm told.

Happy Hiking!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures and terrific narrative as always. Can't wait to visit in June. Dad

    ReplyDelete