Thursday, August 13, 2009

home again

Just got home from my mid-west tour...exhausted! I had a fantastic time catching up with friends for my '5 states in 5 days' adventure...but what shall be sitting for me here in the kitchen but a few copies of our local paper...complete with photo and story of me as front page news...oy! If any of you know me well, you realize that while I will kindly answer questions for curious minds, I do not expect it to be newsworthy. And if some one else deems it so, I pray that the article sits comfortably on pg. 6, with a tiny photo (because apparently a photo is necessary).

Just to clarify a few things about the article...
  • My dad is not a social worker at Elm City- While it is an organization that serves adult clients with mental and physical disabilities and values social work ideals, that doesnt make all of its employees social workers.
  • My work in Kenya was in a village named Meru. Harambee is not a city/town, but a Kiswahili word meaning "coming together." We titled the trip with this word because it described our American culture and the Kenyan culture working together to fund the construction of classrooms at the Primary School in Meru.
  • Along with that, my various trips in high school were described slightly incorrectly: while I did visit a Native American community in South Dakota, I never worked there. I stayed and worked in Belvidere (a town of 63 people in the middle of nowhere - where even the interstate was a dirt road).

Editorial oops... I realize that these are just silly things that get under my skin but sometimes the smallest mistake shows up in the details and I might have to stick my foot in my mouth.

In other news, I believe that tomorrow I will attempt packing, round 1. (after I get caught up on sleep,of course). If it doesnt happen...well, there's always the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment