Monday, August 17, 2009

love/hate relationship with...

PACKING! I cannot describe this process any better than saying it is a serious pain in the a**. BUT, I also get excited about packing because I know that it brings the next adventure in my life so much closer to reality. With that excitement comes my over-zealousness for throwing in everything that I think I might possibly need. Usually this isn't too bad, but this whole two year time frame has thrown a little monkey wrench into my process. How can I possibly be expected to know what I will need/find useful for the next two years?!?! Several current volunteers have posted suggestions and of course, each person has a different suggestion (with guys bringing the least amount).

So, naturally...I attempted this - and ended up 20lbs over the limit for my bags. I have since repacked a few times and while I'm getting closer to the limit, I'm approaching the point of saying "no, I need that and I don't care about the weight limit!" Seriously, toiletries are important and if i remove anymore clothing, I'm not quite sure if I'll have enough for a week, let alone how ever long is necessary before I can find new in Belize.

Taking up some weight I'll admit, were a few non-essentials like books and extra supplies that I can have mailed to me once I get settled. So I've taken those out already (FYI...US Postal Service Flat Rate boxes are the cheapest way to ship anything to Belize). I've also got myself a laptop bag in addition to my backpack because I'm allowed to take both as "Carry-on" and "personal Item"....I feel that if there is a way to maneuver the system, I will find it!!!

So today I'm attempting round 4 or so of reorganizing and adjusting my things to accomodate the weight requirements. Now the only thing left to worry about is lugging all of it through the airports by myself...perhaps that can be motivation enough to slim down the extras.

No comments:

Post a Comment