Wednesday, April 14, 2010

pacaya

On Saturday of my trip to Antigua, my friend Kristen and I decided to take a trip to hike Pacaya Volcano.  We left around 2pm. and didn't return until nearly 10pm. Pacaya has been continuously active since 1965 so we wanted to make sure we were there at night to see all the action!  It sits at an elevation of about 8,300 feet so we were in for one heck of a climb.  The trip up is nearly vertical and takes most groups about 1.5 hours to reach the base.  My group made the same trip in about 40 min...passing several others on our way.  I had enough after about a half an hour and hopped a horse....only to dismount 10 min. later....OY! if only i'd known i was so close.  :0)
Again: pictures are better than words for this experience

roasting marshmallows over lava...it was HOT.
eating my s'more

 
                                                     melted shoe rubber....ahhh.

Here is the mastercard commercial version of the trip:
  • entrance fee into pacaya: 40 Quetzales
  • tour guide for pacaya: 60 Quetzales
  • Marshmallows and chocolate 15 Quetzales
  • Hiking stick to pull me to the top: 5 Quetzales
  • Horse for 10 min. because I'm a wuss: 55 Quetzales
  • new shoes to hike (because i only brought flip flops): 120 Quetzales
  • watching new shoes melt into oblivion while attempting to roast marshmallows over lava:  priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment