Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Processions in Antigua


Easter weekend this year was wonderful!  I traveled with other PCVs to Antigua, Guatemala to see their celebrations.  Antigua is unique in that it keeps alive traditions that are hundreds of years old.  Each year, the city celebrates Semana Santa with processions that traverse through the old cobblestone streets and march over beautiful flower/sawdust murals that are made on the ground.  We arrived on Good Friday at the height of the celebrations.  At 7am we were just in time to watch a procession that signified the walk that Jesus took before he was placed on the cross.   I think it'll be better to let you view for yourself, so I'm posting pictures of the trip.  If you want to see more, just send me an email and I'll get them to you. 
One of the finished murals (mde of colored sawdust and flowers) before the early morning procession.

I dont know what he's supposed to be...but his outfit was stellar.

One of the ancient churches in Antigua that the procession passed.

Constructing another mural for a mid day procession on Good Friday.


More murals being made.

Busy street on Good Friday.




Taking a break mid-day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What terrific pictures. I can imagine how moving it was being there in person. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you get me that guy on the horse with the Romanish outfit? I wanna talk to him for a bit. (smirk) FANTASTIC photos. Wit

    ReplyDelete